Thursday, August 11, 2011

Update from John and Cindy Peterson

(John and Cindy will be worshiping with us Sunday at NHC.)

She was an articulate and beautiful 19-year-old college student who had checked the box on a student survey. She indicated that she was interested in knowing more. She wasn’t interested in knowing more about sororities. She wasn’t interested in knowing more about the social scene on campus. She was interested in knowing more about having a personal relationship with God. She wanted to know, “Is it possible?”


As a 20-year-old student I (Cindy) met her with fear and trembling. Though I had been trained to share my faith by Campus Crusade for Christ, I never expected to have the privilege of leading this young woman to Christ. Oh me of little faith! I will never forget the look on her face when with tears streaming down her face, she told me that this was exactly what she had been looking for.


Two lives were changed that day. She became a Christ follower, but I became hungry to be part of seeing people understand the life-changing message of the Gospel. I knew that wherever God would lead me I wanted to give my life for the sake of the Gospel.


Fast forward to this summer. While John helped lead the ‘Leadership @ Altitude’ training venue for senior Campus Crusade staff, I had the privilege to help train new Campus Crusade team leaders. I also coached two of the participants - a new leader serving at The University of Hawaii and another at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. What a joy it is to see 120 new team leaders trusting God to reach every student and professor within their reach. And what a privilege it was to multiply my impact by investing in their lives.


We talked about strategies and gave them new skills, but most significantly, we begged God together to go before us and bring spiritual revival to the college campus.


One highlight of my summer was interviewing Swede and Judy Anderson - 52-year Campus Crusade staff veterans. The team leaders hung on their every word. If anybody has earned the “right” to retire, this couple has. Though Swede and Judy battle a number of health issues, they shared, ‘there are just too many lost people to retire.’ The Andersons spend much of their time in Eastern Europe sharing the love of Jesus with business executives and political leaders. They model an extraordinary commitment to our leaders.


What a delight it was to be part of designing and delivering this training. By investing in these leaders, God used you and I to make a difference in the lives of students and professors this coming year. Thank you for giving and praying; we could not do this without you. I can’t wait to see what happens through these men and women!


No comments:

Post a Comment