Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday Feedback August 15

Today was one of those rare Sundays when we not only worship and hear God's Word, but we also celebrated Communion and Baptism. It was really an Acts 2 kind of day.

So many believers struggle with a desire to run to Law rather than Grace. And others reject Law altogether as meaningless and are "anti-nomians" (against Law). Do you feel a pull to one or the other extreme?

Chad Hardison debuted his new song about God's Grace today during communion! Great song, Chad. I hope we'll sing it often. You might have been familiar with the chorus, taken from the Gospel song "Grace Greater Than Our Sin".

Congrats to Jen and Lilly on their baptisms today!

4 comments:

  1. Once as a teenager I was criticized for wearing sandals to a Sunday evening service.

    Yesterday I preached in flip flops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've come a long way, Rick. I was raised with rules, too, and I probably still have legalistic tendencies, even though I hate legalism. Patterns of thought formed in childhood are hard to break... like the list of don'ts: no smoking (but a little chaw was OK),no alcohol, (not even wine, even thought Jesus turned water into wine), no movies on Sundays (except the movie about Peter Marshall, which was OK because the whole church went). Legalism is a diversion that allows you to major in the minors, without examining yourself too closely. Thanks for listing the warning signs to look for. Great service, great music...as always. BTW, I've been meaning to speak to you about those flip flops...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sermon was a home run! So was Chad's new song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to Chad for his amazing song--it was so relevant to this series. I am especially interested in this 2 part teaching on legalism because I was married to a legalist--very black and white about everything-- and have some residual issues related to the time we spent together. Thanks, God, for your grace!!!

    ReplyDelete