Here's an excerpt from Tammy's most recent email. This will give you an idea of the work she is doing for Christ with street kids.
After we ate we were going to get a taxi and here comes 3 other boys, I told them I couldn’t take them to eat tonight I had to leave. They were asking him where he was going and we didn’t want to answer but I guess he said church or something. Then a boy Raju asked if I was Christian and I said yes and he said "I also Christian".
He is a really nice kid. He said "I want to go to school also, I want to go to the church with you, you take me." Then Sanu, my buddy from last time also said, "I’m going with you, I want to go with you Tammy" (it was much easier when they called me miss, now that they call me tammy its much more personal ) it tore my heart out to say "I can’t take you now." How do you tell a boy that just wants someone to love them that you can’t take them???
No matter how much I try to shut off towards them I can’t. I about lost it right then and there. I know you can’t help everyone, but to have to tell a child no you can’t help them is the most heart wrenching thing, especially after you have built a relationship with them and they would do absolutely anything for you. I know what tonight held for them, a cold piece of concrete huddled together, filthy dirty and not one to care where they are or how they are. I'm glad I have a room to myself right now, cause this is tough. Every time they see me they are hugging me or holding my hands and walking with me, or asking if they can pay the bill so they can count the money back to me. I just love these kids.
Love Song: Where Are They Now?
3 years ago
"They will know we are Christians by our love." Tammy has no big organization backing her up, just Christ in her, which is enough. She gives these kids what she has: unconditional love and acceptance, meals and clothing. She has set out to build an orphanage because God has led her to do that. What a difference one life, given wholeheartedly to the Lord, can make.
ReplyDelete