Monday, December 13, 2010

Your "Room @ the Inn" story

This week we're hosting local homeless folks at NHC, providing them a warm, safe place to sleep and 3 meals a day. We're helping "the least of these" in a sense.

If you're involved, whether providing a meal or spending a night, you'll likely have a story to tell about how God used this experience to grow and shape you into being more like Christ.

So, please, take a few moments and share that story with the rest of us by clicking "Comment".

God is at work!

5 comments:

  1. I guess I'll start with this one.

    Monday I was having lunch across the road at Mulligans with a group of guys I often eat lunch with. In the course of the conversation I mentioned that we were hosting ARATI this week, which prompted several questions - "Who are they?...Who pays for this?", etc.

    Suddenly one of the guys looked at the guy at the end of the table and said, "Give me ten dollars." The guy looked at him a bit puzzled and he repeated, "Just give me ten dollars".

    Then he went around the table and said the same thing to everyone. The restaurant owner walked up and heard, "Give me ten dollars" and without so much as a "Why?", he reached in his pocket and gave him the money.

    After all this impromptu soliciting the initiator handed me a wad of cash - $75 in all - and said, "Use it this week for the homeless".

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very humbling experience for me and my kids. Knowing that we struggle daily....that could easily be me. I never really thought about it until last night. Knowing that we have a home to go to and snuggle up at night.....is comforting but also taken for granted at times. You just never know. We enjoyed getting to know the guys and hearing their stories. We loved hearing about their travels, their families and things and people they love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent over an hour on Monday evening talking with Bruce. Bruce isn't much different than me...a musician, an artist, a father. It's so easy to see somebody on the street and make a judgment call on who they are and how they got there. Bruce and several of the other men staying at our church this week have blown my perception of what "homeless" means out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim is a young adult who has learned an important life lesson during his one week on OBX. He left a crowded but warm home in VA to come to live in beautiful Nags Head. No job, no place to stay, temperatures in the 20's, no winter coat and only the socks on his feet. He camped out at Wright Brothers and thought he would freeze, having to walk during the night to keep the blood circulating in his feet. He found "A Room in the Inn" on line at the local library and he has been warm and cared for ever since. He's hoping to get a winter coat, some socks and a ride back home to his family. If he had it to do again....in this economy....at this time of year, he would make a different decision. I'm just glad we were here to love like Jesus. If he's still in town on Sunday, he wants to come to church here. Let's pray that he does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my first year to serve at this very needed ministry. I had never served the prior years because I was a bit "scared" hmmm now how does that sound? This year I decided to give it a try and found out it was wonderful. Everything, much to my surprise, was was very orderly and calm. The people were not scary, I guess I was thinking maybe they would be on drugs which scared me ): ( come to find out they have to take drugs tests prior to coming to the church).I met some very nice people who truly appreciated the meal and a warm place to rest. One man I had talked to many times at the beach entrance where I go to the beach. I got to know a bit more about him and his family. Thank you Nags Head Church for helping me get over my fear and to "step up and out" to help out.

    Virginia S.

    ReplyDelete