Last night while on the road one of my long-time favorite Bible teachers was on the radio. I have multiple copies of his books, in fact his latest, an autographed copy, is right beside my recliner at home. I've been to his church and heard him preach; listened to him share insights at conferences. I've used his Bible studies in small groups. For me, he is one of the best and has my respect.
But on this particular program He made a statement that I believe is wrong. Here's what he said. "The church is not for assembling 'seekers' but for making disciples".
Why, I wonder, does it have to be one or the other? Shouldn't it be both?
I suspect that had this brother been a missionary or a church planter he would have a different perspective. None of us who is now on the path of discipleship (a disciple is a learner) started as a disciple. None of us are Christians from birth, but from re-birth. And before that re-birth took place, like Nicodemus in John 3, the Ethiopian in Acts 8 and Cornelius in Acts 10 we were all "seekers". That's where we all began.
Our church's vision statement says we are to be about the purpose of "evangelism" - which is sharing the Gospel with seekers - and "edification" - which is building up believers, or discipleship. A church that is one-sided will be out of balance. A church all about "seekers" will fail to see them grow into fully-devoted followers of Christ once they become disciples. A church that is all about making disciples will turn inward and will miss out on evangelizing the lost community around them.
Our goal is to accomplish both, along with the purposes of fellowship, worship and ministry. And by being balanced in them - which is a never-ending pursuit - we'll continue to be a healthy, growing congregation. In our view, NHC should be both an assembly of "seekers"- where those who don't yet know Christ can discover Him - and a disciple-making body - where believers can learn and become like Christ.
So, if that's who what we're to be about as a church, here are the questions each of us should be regularly asking ourselves.
1. Am I concerned about non-believers in my life? Do I take opportunities through my words and my actions to point them to my Savior? Do I regularly invite the unchurched to come with me to church?
2. Do I see consistent growth in my relationship with Christ and with His family? How do I measure that growth?
3. If I am a maturing believer, what younger, newer believer am I investing my life in to help him/her grow as well? That is making disciples.
Love Song: Where Are They Now?
3 years ago
Perhaps in the church "particular" seekers yes, but in the mystical church " universal" I am thinking that can only be disciples. Nevertheless I need more work on issue # 1.
ReplyDeleteThis might help. Don't confuse statements about the church's purpose for who the church is. Whether the local church or the greater family of God, only believers belong. And every believer should be on the path of being a disciple.
ReplyDeleteHowever, we should welcome and encourage non-believing seekers to "come and see" (as Andrew said to Peter) and be exposed to God's people worshiping and to His Word.
But don't mistake what I said for saying "Seekers" are part of the church at any stage. They cannot be until they have a new birth.