If you began the 40 Days on that Sunday so loooong ago, today is day 40.
Take a moment to share with the rest of us what God taught you about Himself, yourself and others when it comes to love.
Love Song: Where Are They Now?
3 years ago
So much. It was a great study. Tom Holladay's book was most excellent.
ReplyDeleteI was most impressed with the concept that God's love isn't about a feeling for someone. That allows me to love those who perhaps will not love me. With human love we expect a reciprocity - love in return. With God's love we can love in the face of rejection.
One of the lessons I learned was about how many areas of life depend on our choices...we choose to love, in spite of being hurt; we choose to forgive, even when we would rather hold grudges; we choose to be accepting, and to sacrifice for the good of someone else; we choose to be honest about ourselves, instead of trying to impress; we choose to show love to others, instead of judging them. We can choose to be gentle, patient, merciful, and kind. I am really going to try to be more purposeful in relationships, and to choose to follow Christ's example of "vulnerable love".
ReplyDeleteDuring the 40 DOL, I have been especially aware of the issues of speaking the truth in love. I have known this commandment for a long time, but I haven’t always made a conscious effort to “say nothing” even if I have something legitimate to speak in love! I have been filtering what I say since that week’s lesson, especially to those who live and work with me.
ReplyDeleteI wondered if anyone had noticed that I’ve been monitoring that. Then I realized… if they haven’t noticed, they should hear what I have been thinking to say and DIDN’T!
Does that count? :)