Marathon Sunday.
One gathering.
Shoebox Sunday.
Love is not easily angered.
You were there. What did you see God doing?
Don't forget that if you were serving in children's ministries and missed the worship gathering the message is up on our pod cast at nagsheadchurch.org.
Love Song: Where Are They Now?
3 years ago
A couple thoughts...
ReplyDeleteThe last two Sundays I've heard from more people about God using the messages in this series to reach deep into their hearts, esp. regarding forgiveness and anger. God is indeed doing some amazing works to heal hurts and teach us to love.
Keep in mind that whenever God is at work the enemy is as well trying to upset the apple cart.
Here are some examples:
ReplyDeleteVia email - "I just wanted to tell you how much this morning's sermon touched me. It was just what my husband and I both needed to hear for ourselves, and to help us deal with our daughter. I told him coming home today that if your church wasn't such a long drive, I'd be there every Sunday." (They live out of state.)
A young lady came up and said, "I was going to send you an email asking what to do about my boyfriend's anger." (Holding her outline) "Now I know the answer. God wanted me to be here today."
A young mother, with tears told me of her separation from an abusive husband and wanted affirmation that she would be welcomed and loved at NHC.
God's Word is alive and powerful.
My son and I had had some deep discussions and gut wrenching conversations this week about living with your past mistakes and people's perceptions of us, both in and out of the church. He was very discouraged and blamed lots of things. Today, after the service, he told me "I got slapped upside the head today during the sermon." I did too, it was just what I needed to hear!
ReplyDeleteOf all the sermons or Connection group studies in this series yesterday's was the one that hit me hardest. I have always had a bad temper and I've learned over the years to control it better but every now and then, especially now as a dad, I feel it creeping in again. So this week my project is to respond to my children in a calm way. Something about a child telling me "no" is like flipping the switch.
ReplyDeleteHappens in youth ministry also when students don't listen to or obey their leaders. Really frustrating when I see them disrespect those who volunteer their time investing in their lives.
The visual Rick Warren used early on about us being a coffee cup filled with emotion and that when something happens to "jiggle our cup" what we're filled with sloshes out, has stayed with me each week as I've lived my life and observed others. It really made sense with this discussion of anger and gave me new insight into being merciful rather than judgmental toward those who are hurt and, therefore, hurt.
ReplyDeleteI had never thought of teaching my children how to deal with anger and was blessed with the opportunity to start the lessons on the way home from church! Ha ha. I always say "Don't be mad. Don't be angry." WRONG! I learned a great lesson and a new way of trying to live.
ReplyDelete