Monday, January 12, 2009

“Beware of false prophets!” – Jesus.*

Recently I taught about the return of Jesus. At NHC we believe He is coming again, and we hope that it is soon. The Bible has lots to say about it, and we’re told by Paul not to be ignorant on the subject of eschatology.

I also included a warning that with the world’s current events there would be a lot of talk about the 2nd coming; even predictions of when it would occur, despite the clear teaching of Jesus that no one knows the day or the hour. I didn’t know that within the week a follower of a “prophet” (someone named “Tim”) would come and visit me in the church office with literature proclaiming his “conversations with Christ” (which he considers the “Word of God”) and a timeline chart indicating Jesus will rapture the church in “about 2011”.

I love the way God allows things to happen, don’t you? The same week I teach on this, here comes this guy to see me.

So I visited this group’s web site to check them out a little. Here is how Tim describes who he is and what he does.

My friends, I do not wish to replace, or take away, or add to the Holy Bible! Rather, these words and this understanding was given to Me by the Lord, and is for all those who have ears to hear. He alone may "add to" His Word for our benefit and to give us greater understanding.
I have not accepted even one penny for the Letters, nor do I plan to...the Word of God is free to all!
I do not have any previous learning in Scripture, no degrees of any kind, nor have I attended seminary, nor have I received any teaching from any pastor, minister, etc., nor have I been to church...I must remain separate from those whom God wishes me to give His message to, lest I become biased toward a certain denomination. I do, however, gather together with many others for Bible Study every Sabbath
.”

How do you discern the false from the genuine?

1. The Bible is God’s complete revelation. While he says he doesn’t wish to add to the Bible, he says God has given him these revelations and they are “the Word of God”. Yet you can read for yourself John’s warning in Revelation 22:18. Scripture is perfect and sufficient (2 Tim. 3:16-17). “If it’s new it isn’t true”.
2. God gives us teachers to equip us. Did you see what he admits? No previous learning in Scripture (he’s a novice); no training or education, not even from a Sunday school class! I’m certainly not one to insist on seminary education for every teacher, but again, this guy completely disses the Bible. Check out these passages and see it for yourself. 2 Tim. 2:2; Eph. 4:11; Titus 1:9; 2:1-4; Acts 2:42. Does that mean we’re to swallow hook, line and sinker everything we hear from a teacher? No! We’re to be like the Bereans in Acts 17:11 and check out the Scriptures for ourselves to see if what we’re being taught is what the Bible says. But to say, “I don’t need to be taught” is to disagree with God’s Word.
3. If you diss church you’re dissing God. Again his words: “nor do I go to church”. Yet he thinks he’s hearing from Jesus things only shared with him. Again, he demonstrates either total ignorance or his disdain for Jesus and His Word. Jesus established the church. The Holy Spirit birthed the church. And how can you possibly read any of the Bible from Acts through the epistles (most of them letters to churches and church leaders) and think that being part of a church family doesn’t matter to Jesus? Here’s what I think (only because I’ve seen this played out before): “Tim” knows he’s got his own following of the gullible, and knows that if he were to become accountable to a church he would have to agree to its teaching. He doesn’t want to submit himself to any authority (other than the “Jesus” he perceives gives him his letters).

I asked the young man who came by about his own involvement in a church. He was not in a church, but with Tim, meets with others on “the Sabbath” (Saturday), not together, but online. You know I’m a fan of using the internet. But what they do is not a substitute for being in a healthy church family. Neither, by the way, is watching a service on TV or listening to radio or CDs, for that matter.

What’s my point here. Simply this: Make sure the Bible is your guidebook. When a “prophet” or group tells you they’ve got some kind of “new revelation” that the rest of the Christian world has somehow missed you can be sure they are off-base. Stay away from them.

*Matthew 7:15; 24:11; 24:24

2 comments:

  1. We also know this: Jesus said He wouldn't return until all the families of the earth (unreached people groups) have an adequate opportunity to respond to the gospel. (Mark 13:10)

    9"You must be on your guard. You will be handed over to the local councils and flogged in the synagogues. On account of me you will stand before governors and kings as witnesses to them. 10And the gospel must first be preached to all nations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those of you who haven't met him yet, the commentor above, Adam Hoffman with his bride Melissa, are our missionaries.

    Thanks Adam for another great point in the big picture of Christ's return!

    ReplyDelete