I'm posting a letter I just received from Dale Hamilton's chaplain, David Chapman, in Iraq. Dale will be home tomorrow for a couple of weeks R&R. Please read the letter and take his requests to our Father's throne on behalf of our heroic men, women and their families stateside.
Pastor Rick,
I saw Dale Hamilton just before he left today to begin the long journey home to NC and take a break from a very hot Iraq. He's quite a character and encouragement in these parts amoung the troops to me as well. The next time I see him, it won't be long till we are leaving for home.
Rick, it has been a long time since I last sent you an update on how things are going here. It changes day to day, as people always do because they are amoung the living and the world we live in is dynamic by nature, by the sustaining providence of our Creator. But men also have their eyes on the horizon and want the promise of something better to come quickly and begrudge the fact time will not bend to our will. Not only for our Soldiers here in the exile from our land we love, but more so spouses are under pressure and longing for comfort in the arms of the one they cherish.
In the last two weeks, I have been helping Soldiers who's wives did not fare too well under the strain and did things out of character for them. I have talked with two distressed wives and got the distinct impression they are under much more stress than we are over here. In reality, our lives are much simplier than in the US but the seperation is not something men ignore or can go on as if it doesn't matter. We plenty of good men doing so much to keep the home fires lit but it is the young pups I worry about.
Besides relational strains, the death of loved ones, and others losing touch with is having an affect on the hearts of these men. I have had incredible times of private counsel with many of these men and am grateful they frequently stick their heads in the office when they are heading to the computer lab- for a quick greeting, share something new in their lives, or varifying the details on the latest ridiculous rumor going around. Its like any other war.
I am grateful this one seems to be winding down and we can go home. But what kind of homes are we going home to? Some have expressed fear that they are returning to an empty house that once was filled with laughter and little ones scurrying around. Others are excited about moves to new posts for new jobs and time to stay home a bit long this next time. I rejoice with them as well.
In May, I returned to Colorado to see my family and my girlfriend came to visit. Now she and I are engaged to be married, with the date set for Nov. 27, 2009, in our home town of Decorah, Iowa. It is something special to know God brought the cheerleader who had a home room locker next to mine in junior high school back into my life after 25 years of seperation, in answer to both of our prayers. She's happy but I know all the credit goes to our God and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Ask Dale about this and watch the goose bumps show up!
Rick, I will leave it at that for now. I will aim to get another message to you as we draw near the time to return to the US. We greatly appreciate your congregation's prayer support during this long deployment. It isn't over yet but we know we are much off because of the faithful who are praying for us.
Take care, Rick.
CH David Chapman.
May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance. II Thessalonians 3:5 (NIV)
Love Song: Where Are They Now?
3 years ago
I'm praying!
ReplyDeleteI pray for those still in Iraq to have the comfort of knowing their families are faithful to them while away. I pray for the families here to have the strength to turn away from anything (fear? loneliness?) that would damage the relationship they have with the one who left here loving them. I pray for those on both sides of this world and this war, that they would know that this kind of comfort and strength only comes from knowing Jesus.
ReplyDelete