Monday, June 1, 2009

June Update from the Glocks!


Dear friends,
I'm having a hard time getting my brain around all that needs to be shared. Since I'm writing this introduction at the end I can tell you I decided to focus on one story...

We are living in very exciting times here in France. It is a privilege for Sylvie and I to let you know what God is doing among us and how your partnership through prayer and giving is making a difference.

On March 26th I ended my formal relationship with the CEP. I used the phase, "I am no longer your missionary.", to summarize what was happening. The transition has gone very well. Jean-yves is doing an excellent job as pastor of the CEP. Please continue to pray for the church as Jean-yves leads them.

One of the questions Sylvie and were was asking ourselves before the meeting on the 26th was, "Do the folks as the CEP understand what's going on?" Through God's grace and mercy the CEP had been able to call a French pastor. We came to the CEP 8 years ago to help them get to this point. And over the last three years we had seen God work in ways that we could have never imagined to make this a reality.

What I was really asking is will they thank us for what we've done? And that question is tricky for a missionary. Should we expect them to say thank you? The 26th passed and little was said. And so I told myself that we should leave it with God...

On April 5th the CEP and the ICG held a bilingual service. On the 5th we had held a seminar on mercy ministries and the speakers we're going to preach at the bilingual service. I remember waking up on the 5th knowing that it was going to be a special Sunday because of the character of the men who were going to speak. God had spoken through them in the seminar and I sensed that He had something for us (the two churches) that morning. The service was organized in such a way that my only job was to play the electric bass. Being a part of the worship band at both churches is one of the great joys for Sylvie and I and with the building filled to overflowing the singing was powerful.

After about 20 minutes of worship and praise it was time for announcements. Henri, an elder at the CEP, come to the front to say something. I'm sitting behind him thinking this is unusual, I don't remember us planning for him to give the announcements. Then I start listening to what he is saying. 8 years ago Matt and Sylvie arrived at the CEP... I see Marie-Claude from the CEP walking to the front with a bouquet and a gift bag... They're thanking us... Tears are streaming down my face and the burden was lifted. Closure is the right word to describe what happened. Everyone agreed that the job was done.

And that was not the only moment of grace during the service. God was present in a mighty way. The message we received was a clear and compelling challenge to proclaim the Gospel in word and deed to the poor and needy, "to the least of these." The blessings continued after the service. The first Sunday of the month the CEP holds a pot-luck meal. The ICG was also invited and over 70 people stayed. That was so cool! God is doing wonderful things in the life of both churches drawing us closer to Him and to each other.

Sylvie and I thank you for helping us finish the job with the CEP. You have carried us with your prayers through the good times and the hard times.

With love in Christ,
Matt and Sylvie
--
Matthew and Sylvie Glock
2 rue Champ Rochas
38240 Meylan
FRANCE
tel 04 76 04 84 06
Matt's blog: http://www.endirect.blogs.com/endirect
International Teams: http://www.iteams.org

(The Glocks will be with us at NHC in July and August!)

1 comment:

  1. very cool!

    can't wait to see the Glocks in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete