Wednesday, July 29, 2009

CREST and The Journey

It's no coincidence that God has us in a study of how He led the nation of Israel through the wilderness to reach their Promised Land. Life is a journey, whether it is an individual life, a family's life or the life of a community of believers. And journey's sometimes require detours and stops.

Tonight's CREST meeting had it's share of praise for the good things God is doing among our ministries and missions. But it also had a very serious tone as well as we wrestled in our spirits with two challenges.

The first is our financial state. The economy has kicked us hard. At the same time we're growing at a rapid rate our giving just hasn't kept up with our needs. For over a year we've been operating in the red, borrowing our own money to operate. Tonight our elders shared that we can't continue on with such a large deficit, including last year's shortfall. The good news is that we have met our budget over teh past 4 months, but not at a rate that will allow us to repay our Building Fund.

So tonight our staff took the first step to recovery by committing to be bi-vocational - working in secular employment - to help the church catch up. We hope it is a temporary measure. Already God is working in the hearts of others to determine to do what we must.

The second is the sad news that a brother has fallen into sin. The church was challenged from the Word to put Mt. 5 and Galatians 6 into practice humbly and with compassion to reach out to him and go after this lost sheep. We're reminded that it is only the grace of God that allows us to live for Him.

So tonight I'm content that God is at work in ways we may not understand and probably can't see. NHC is His church, and I'm convinced greater things are yet to be done in this city for His glory. Let's do our part, whatever that means, and watch God part seas. Yes, He still can do that.

If you're a partner in the fellowship of NHC I'll be sending you a copy of the memo I sent the elders that Burnie read tonight. If you could not be in attendance or chose not to attend, I hope you'll read it and take on the challenge to do whatever it takes.

Rick

8 comments:

  1. I am very humbled by the fact that our church leaders want to lead by example, not by just words. I don't want to see this happen, and I will be praying hard about what I can do to help, either financially or in ministry, but the bottom line is that I, alone, cannot fix this problem. I hope I can be part of the solution. Most pastors, given this situation, would be looking for another church...but instead, our pastors are rolling up their sleeves and saying, 'I'll do whatever it takes.' That blows me away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are on quite an adventure, aren't we? It will be exciting to see how God works in this seemingly "challenging" situation. Thank God for servant leaders, who, by example, are showing us how to trust Him, regardless of circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we are weak, He is strong. In our times of failure and doubt and confusion, He is most glorified. I am looking forward to seeing how God will use NHC is a new and incredible way to reach our community for Him during this journey in the wilderness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith is not believing that God can, it's knowing that God will. I have been on a personal faith journey over the last couple of years with the help of my Connection Group, classes and prayer. Now it's being played out at the corporate level. If last night is any indication of the response we can expect from our church family, I am believing that God will move us all to return to Him the resources that he has given us and we will walk out of the wilderness in victory. Should God decide that Rick, Nathan and Andy could best serve the church at this time by entering the secular workforce, it will no doubt be because their passion, missional spirit and talents (traits I see on a daily basis) will advance the work of the kingdom and save lives. It's God's call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all have such great insights. I'm feeling much better about this.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the last 15 hours,I have heard of many talking about ideas they have and ways that each of our partners may be able to actually "pull together" as a team as we are led by God through this wilderness to the place He wants us to be. Along the way, our unshakeable faith will allow us to keep our eyes and actions focused on Christ. I am greatly encouraged by some of the things I am hearing and excited to see how we can each make efforts and contributions in ways that God has shaped us! Our God is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are blown away by the way God is moving us here...we serve Him and if Rick, Andy and Nate are being led to take on a secular job for the interim, then we will also look for ways we can relieve some of the burden...weather it be financial or job service, we are willing to do whatever it takes to make NHC continue to be the shining light on the Outer Banks to all who seek Him...we will pray for God to direct each of us in the coming months. Carol and Les

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know of no other church family that is so ready, willing, and able to weather this latest storm like the family at Nags Head Church. I am honored to be part of this family and look forward to whatever it is that God will have us do. Now is not the time to run and hide hoping that someone else will "fix" it. Now is the time to, as Nathan said, follow the leader. I am ready, how about you?

    ReplyDelete