Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday Feedback - August 23

Today Matt Glock finished up the series "Holier Than Thou?" by taking us to Isaiah 58 and showing how our holiness is intended to display God's glory to the world.

All of today's songs invited us to either live a holy life or sang of the power of Christ to bring change in us and the world God has called us to reach.

Whether it was a song, a scripture, something said in the message or something you saw or heard in someone else, what did God use to change you? What gave more depth to your worship?

Tell us about it!

5 comments:

  1. If all we've done is give out water to thirsty people and haven't directed them to the Gospel we're just nice people.

    I got to spend a few minutes in Lil' K this morning and was fascinated by their attentiveness to the lesson on having an ear to listen to God's Word and on the lesson itself.

    Then this afternoon I got to participate in small group leader training with 18 others from NHC. Great time! Thanks Burnie for your leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this series on holiness. Matt gave us a lot to think about in regard to what our purpose is in reaching out to the poor (physically and spiritually). Do the people that we reach out to understand that we do it because of our love for Jesus and what he has done for us or do they think we are merely a bunch of do-gooders. I have to admit that when I hear someone say to me (for instance) "it's really cool what your church is doing with the backpacks" I don't say it's because we love Jesus and we want to show his love. I usually just say something like, "Yes, it's nice to be in a church where we can help people in need." How lame is that? I really need to work on trusting God to give me the courage to say what is in my heart and not be concerned about the fear of being seen as "holier than thou."
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, isn't it odd that we are often accused by unchurched people as thinking of ourselves as "holier than thou" when our calling is to be "as holy as He"? I think that expression is one of the subtle tactics used by the enemy to keep us in check. Matt and Rick spent 4 weeks teaching us what the Bible says about being holy. NHC is known for "changing" and not hanging on to anything just because we've always done it that way, but one thing I treasure that has remained unchanged as long as I've been here is teaching "what the Bible says" about any topic we've tackled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Roxanne! I agree with your assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good point Rick. I caught that too when Matt was pointing it out. I use a sermon that you preached that caused me to "re-think" my relationship with God as an example of how some times thoughts and words can stir your mind and cause you to visit your position and even change. But I should be taking it one step further and inviting the folks I tell this story to come with me to a service and see for themselves.

    ReplyDelete