Sunday, February 7, 2010

Back from the village- Update from Tammy Stump

Howdy, Well I just returned from the village, there is lots to tell so I will break this down into different emails over the next few days.

The ride to Doombre (I will spell it how it sounds) was nice actually. We stopped to eat, these Nepali people can not drive more than 2 hours without having to stop to eat. The place was actually nice, most of the time they are little dives. It was expensive to Buddhiman and he wasn't going to eat nor was mother or the 2 girls that came with us and I told them I was paying and it was not a big deal. I think the entire meal for 5 people was like 15.00. He is so good about not wanting me to spend money.

So we get to the Doombre and catch another bus to the village. No walking 4 hours, since its not raining the buses are running. It was a crowded bus, people sitting on sacks of rice in the middle of the aisles. I watched as little old ladies went up to fruit vendors and begged for a few grapes and an apple, was really sad. One woman walked on the bus with a staff that helped her walk and was collecting money in her shawl. She was so cute. Thankfully it seems people did help her a little, but it has to be awfully hard for her to have to do this day in and day out.

So the bus is all loaded and we head off to the village, the first part of the ride was great it was on asphalt, that only lasted about 20 minutes then we hit the dirt road and there was dust and dirt everywhere from it being so dry. You can not begin to imagine how many people they can cram on these buses. We had to have had about 30 or more inside and about 10-20 on the roof. This ride was not for the faint at heart that is for sure. I decided it was best not to look out the window when we were going around corners where the river was on one side of the bus. The hairpin turns and step grades were unreal, plus the river we had to cross. I was so thankful to get off that bus. I think it took us at least 2.5 hours if not 3. I was so glad to get off the bus and to the village.

The ride home was fun. I was thinking the only thing missing was a chicken and a goat when this old lady gets on with a rooster in her hands :o) This bus ride was even more packed, it had to have taken us about 3 hours or more to get to town. I was so glad to get off that bus. I really thinking walking or taking the tractor is my preferred way of traveling to the village from now on. I would much rather walk 4 hours than be smashed into people for 3. Then came the second bus to Kathmandu. I was gonna go in the van but nooooo, I didnt want to sit in the back, so instead I got on one of the buses I try to avoid. From the outside the seats looked comfy that was until you sat down and realized there was NO leg room. I mean none, I had to have one leg in the aisle and one on my seat with my knee pushing the back of the seat in front of me. I only had to sit like that for 5 hours. :o) I think it took us in total about 10 or 11 hours to get back to Kathmandu from when we started. Mind you its only about 150 miles away.

So I have riden buses, trains, boats, motorcycles, tuk tuks, taxi's, rickshaws etc for the past 10 years in about 5 or 6 country's. All local transportation and have taken 5 times longer to get places I am going. Just once I would like to have a normal vehicle to ride in to get things done :o) I am seriously praying for a vehicle to get when I come back in June so I can get things transported to the village and get where I need to go. I can not imagine having to take supplies on the bus etc. We will never get anything built, well not in this century any how :o). So if you all would be praying for that I would really appreciate it.

I have lots of pictures I will put up tomorrow. The trip was great, got a lot of things done,I love the village and the people and was sad to leave even though I will be back soon. I just love those people, I had so much fun. I didnt even mind bathing in the river, or the squatty potty etc.

Ok well I am tired and need to get to bed, I have lots to do this next week before I leave for Thailand. Blessings to all and thank you all for your prayers and Im sure the cows appreciate them as none were maimed or killed on this trip :o)

tammy

1 comment: