Taking time off is something I know I need to do, but struggle finding the time to do it. Seems there's never a good time. And when I get some time away it usually takes me about 3 days to start relaxing.
Last year I was invited to a reunion to be held in Lynchburg, VA with a lot of people I went to college with 35 or so years ago. It's amazing that we all remember we were here.
So, I'm in the 'burg. Staying at my brother and sister-in-laws for a couple nights until the shindig starts Thursday. 200 something are converging for a four day spread of reliving the thrilling days of yesteryear. I probably know at least half of them.
Back in the early to mid '70's we were all working together learning how to do youth ministry. Many continue in youth ministry and some in other forms of pastoring, etc., but most have found careers in other areas while still volunteering in their churches.
It will be a lot of fun, with a lot of laughs. Some tears as we remember our friends who have passed since our college days. Christ will no doubt be central to the entire affair, which means I'll come home challenged by the stories I hear from those who serve Him around the world.
And the best part about it is that I get to see the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
What's the best part about your Sabbaths?
Rick
Love Song: Where Are They Now?
3 years ago
Congratulations Rick on your chance to take a vacation. Today things are ramped up a bit, maybe that is why it takes another 3 days to wind down. I for one feel you should take 10 days for a vacation. YOU deserve it!
ReplyDeleteThe reunion has been outstanding. A lot of what we had going for us as a movement in the 70's has been resurrected in some sense.
ReplyDeleteMuch of what I loved about my college experience had been filed away. Talking with so many, not only about what we did back then, but about what they are doing now has been good soul food.