
This is the place to share your stories of how you're involvement in Advent Conspiracy is changing the world!
If you are participating in the conspiracy, please let others know by leaving a comment here. Come back often to share your stories and read about what God is doing in the lives of others!
Also, visit the Advent Conspiracy Resource Page to download some excellent resources (like the one below) to help you begin this Christmas with worship!
Tricia and I decided a few weeks ago to participate in Advent Conspiracy this Christmas. Our first decision was to take most of the gifts that we had already bought for Gwyneth and donate them to them to Tricia's childhood hospital (Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia). Tricia is very excited to give back to the hospital that gave her so much, and we're excited to teach Gwyneth about giving!
ReplyDeleteTricia, Gwyneth and I had a super fun time shopping for a four year old girl who's name and wish list was given to a local "angel tree" type charity. It was definitely more fun shopping for her than it is stressing about finding the perfect gifts for our friends and family.
ReplyDeletePlease, pray with us that these gifts will show her that there is something good in the world and give her family hope!
Anyone else have stories to share? I know we're not the only ones participating in AC!!!
Pat and I are sold on helping out with the "Living Water" wells project. We are seeing just how much we can donate by not buying presents for each other, asking our family for contributions in lieu of gifts, and buying only needs, not wants for this month. It is amazing how fast it adds up. Lunch out? Not a need, when there is plenty of food here. Potato chips? You've gotta be kidding, even though I'm addicted to them. Gift exchange for the Christmas party where I volunteer? I've opted out, and I doubt anyone will even notice. This is fun!
ReplyDeleteAwesome, Brenda!!!
ReplyDeleteUpdate:
ReplyDeleteHere it is, two days before Christmas, and all is calm. The satisfaction we have received from this project is amazing. Our friends and relatives have given gift cards for groceries for the needy, donations to our local food pantry, a goat and two chickens to World Vision, and donations to the "well project" for us. We don't have to find a place to put stuff we don't need; there will be no hurt feelings because we were disappointed in our gifts; there has been a sense of joy and purpose for us, and the stress usually associated with Christmas is completely gone, replaced with a focus on giving instead of getting. We will never go back to a commercialized, materialistic Christmas.
I've been convicted (in a good way) about the amount of needless giving I've engaged in over the years. This year I unwrapped and returned many purchases and used the money to feed 2 families, gift two women my age who are in Britthaven (angel tree), new childrens' clothes to a shelter in Denver and a stocking to a neighbor in need. Even after that giving, I still gave more personal gifts than I needed to but I have made a giant step toward recovering the true meaning of Christmas.
ReplyDeleteTricia and I are experiencing Christmas like never before...very little time in stores shopping and stressing has left us more focused on Christ and His gift! We've been able to enjoy our friends and family more than ever, and have been more aware of the felt needs of those around us.
ReplyDeleteI concur with Nathan on all of those last points!
ReplyDeleteTricia