A sabbath (time of rest) is a principle God built into creation. And He (who does not get tired) modeled it for us when after day six of creating the universe He "rested" on the seventh day. Taking a day off every week was one of His Ten Commandments to the holy nation of Israel. And every 7th year they were to let the fields lie fallow - unplowed an unplanted - to give the earth an opportunity to replenish and not be abused.
We're blessed as a church with elder leaders who understand the need for sabbath rest for our staff. They understand that leading the church is demanding, not only physically, but mentally, emotionally and spiritually. So among our personnel policies are outlined annual vacation times and periodic sabbaticals.
More than a vacation, a sabbatical is to be a time for renewal and recharging the spiritual batteries. Our staff have the option of taking an 8 week sabbatical break after 5 years of service or a 3 month sabbatical after 7 years.
So beginning Feb. 1 I'm taking my second sabbatical since starting with NHC in 1991 and the first since 2003. This will be my last Sunday until May. I'm looking forward to having plenty of time to seek God about His plans for our church in the years to come and to do some study, reading and writing. Gail and I also plan a bit of traveling during that time.
You might be wondering..."If Rick's gone, who's in charge?" The answer is "The same guys who lead us when he's here, just without him". Our four pastors, Tom, Steve, Andy and Burnie will continue to shepherd and will be handling most of the Sunday teaching responsibilities. They have a great series - "The Seven Dynamics of a Healthy Church" to start things off, taking a look at the original church of Jerusalem in the book of Acts.
Around the office during the week Andy, Nathan and Barbara will have things covered well.
Nothing will slow down or stop. NHCU happens in February. F1RST Wednesday is next week. And the opening of our brand new Kids Zone is just around the corner, too.
In fact, several big things will be taking place, including our hosting a three great conferences. One is "The Green Room" for all church leaders, and especially those in worship arts. Then a new spin on The Call, our annual youth conference happens again in February. And we're very excited that NHC will host this year's Beth Moore simulcast in April.
So, I'm very comfortable with leaving for a break. After all, it's God's church and He's got it all covered. And like the last time in '03, the church will continue to grow while I'm gone.
I hope to see you Sunday. We'll be finishing our series from Isaiah 55. If not, I'll look for you in May! (But I may sneak in from time to time. It's just hard to stay away.)
Love Song: Where Are They Now?
3 years ago
Enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteYou're right....it's hard to imagine life at NHC without you around since I waasn't here in 2003 to know what that's like. But, as an office worker, I know all too well about your need for R & R and quality time with your lovely wife. I'll be praying for safe travel and restful days. By the way, don't be surprised if the mice play while the cat's away. With Andy taking the lead during the week, who knows what might happen!
ReplyDeleteLast sabbatical Rick took I sat in a closet (my old office in the old building) all alone every day. Drove me nuts!! Now I at least have company for me to drive nuts!!
ReplyDeleteHave fun and rest up Rick. You are in your last quarter, come back strong and ready to play to the end.
Rick,
ReplyDeleteGlad you are doing this. Be refreshed and concentrate on the things that matter most.