Monday, January 11, 2010

Update from Tammy Stump

(You may not know Tammy. She is one of our newest partners at NHC. A couple of weeks ago she shared about her mission - building orphanages in impoverished and war-torn areas of the world. This year she's building one in Nepal. But first she goes to Thailand to learn the art of making bricks!)

Howdy,

Seriously did anyone expect me to get out of the US easily??? When they announced we would be delayed I had to laugh, especially when it go to the time that my other flight was going to leave Detroit and well I was still in Philly. So the lady announces that we need to call and rebook our flights. I called NW and the lady told me she could route me through Paris, then Amsterdam then to Bangkok. I like adventures however... going through Paris is not high on my list of airports to go through after this past trip, nor is sitting in Amsterdam for 11 hours. She said the flights tomorrow from Detroit were booked, so I said Ok I would call back. I called back 2 minutes later and got someone else who got me on the flight out of Detroit tomorrow!!!

So in the mean time I had to stand in line to get a new boarding pass and was talking to these 3 men standing near me and they asked me where i was going etc so I told them, then they asked what i was doing there etc. So we stood there and talked for about 30 minutes and they were all excited about the brick stuff etc and they each took one of my cards so they could look up the website when they got to where they were going.

They werent together, we all just happened to be standing near each other. One of the guys did mission work in Haiti, one of the guys is some business man flying to China and the other one that I later sat next too waiting for our flight was a Pastor, go figure huh? He said he was going to check out the website and the work we are doing etc. So who knows what will come out of any of that if anything but it was fun to talk to these guys they were really nice. Really comes in handy never shutting up :o)

The guy that runs the shuttle service from the hotel, is from Iraq and we were talking, (I know go figure), anyhow he was telling me about what it was like to be a Christian there, as he grew up as a Christian. He also said that Sadaam had Christians working for him, like his cook, barber etc, cause he knew he could trust them and they wouldnt do anything to him. He said many people in the govt are like that. Found that interesting. So that was pretty cool.

I am now in Detroit in a free hotel the airlines put me in, which means one more night of being able to take a bath with warm water!!!!! I get to sleep in as my flight does not leave until 12:45 tomorrow. I tell ya there is always a blessing in life's little bumps in the road. I didnt sleep very well last night and was really tired so this works out perfect.

Ok so here's the plan, I leave tomorrow for Bangkok providing the planes are flying etc. Those plans are subject to change Im sure :o) Once in Bangkok, which will be Weds night I think, then hopefully I will be able to buy my ticket for Nepal and leave for Nepal on Friday. Once again that could definetly change by the time I get there. Ok well just wanted to let you all know what was going on, so you werent wondering if I made it to Thailand or not. Let the adventure begin!!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy!
    I think you were going to become a part of my connection group. Sorry I didn't get to meet you before you left.
    Keep us updated!
    Marie from BK's connection group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An email today from Tammy says that she made it OK to Thailand after 20 hours of flying. Pray for her to find a great deal on a ticket to Nepal, where she goes next after the training in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marie and Pastor Rick.
    I will be going to Nepal first to get the soil samples then back to Thailand, so will be getting my tickets to Nepal on Thursday I am hoping and be there by Friday. Thanks for all your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Tammy! I thought my trek by car with Pam to Colorado was an adventure...I'm not even in the same ballpark! We are following you with interest and are counting on a first hand report to our connection group in March when you swing by the OBX. Love and prayers, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your prayers I really appreciate them. Barbara my real adventure in traveling wont start until I take that crazy, hair raising trip to the village in a couple of weeks!!! I hope to be able to swing down that way before heading up to Maine when i get back!!!!
    tammy

    ReplyDelete