A strong earthquake this morning hit the area where the Bensons are in Honduras. In fact, from the info I have quickly gathered, it appears the epicenter was very close to them. If you go to this map you'll see the epicenter located. Just below that point are the Bay Islands, where Larry and Sheila are located.
We have not heard anything from them as yet. As soon as we receive news it will be updated here.
Update. Here's another link saying that the quake hit Roatan, which is the main island, a 45 minute boat ride from Helene. It says that the epicenter of the quake was 39 miles NE of Roatan.
From Sheila - Rick this is what I sent the girls this a.m.-we are fine, rode it out in our strong little house, am sure they felt the sway up in the clinic! The island is very excited about all this , we have not seen any damage, but these houses are not built to withstand a whole lot anyway!
From Larry - Rick, I am on Sheila’s computer this morning. The Epicenter was 80 miles North East of Lecieba, Honduras which makes it 27 miles North of Roatan. No big waves afterwards, so no back wash tsunami. The island was awake as soon as it happened which was about 2:30 to 3:0am this morning. There was a tsunami watch for a few hours but nothing occurred. Houses and homes on the water are damaged some. It shook here for 15 or 20 seconds which was a long time while laying in bed. I felt like a jumping bean. But all is well here. I am sure I will hear great tails as the day goes on here about the effects of the earthquake the island does like to have something to talk about and make it bigger than it is. It was an alarming experience though. Islanders came by the house for the latest information form the internet. The knock at my door was 5:ooam with the normal. "Mr Larry are you up?" And the day is off.
More from Larry -
Friends,
We are Ok. Yes, and earthquake did hit us about 2:30am. It was fun for sure. I felt like I was popcorn popping. The earthquake lasted about 20 seconds which seemed a lifetime. Some people around us did panic. We were awakened by islanders, but no one really slept after 3:00am. We do not seem to have any damage here on our site; all seems ok. The mainland and other locations had more damage than we did. Praise God once again for protecting us.
Love Song: Where Are They Now?
3 years ago
For Larry to feel like pop corn bouncing in bed tells us the strength of that quake!
ReplyDeleteThanks the Lord there was no damage there.
I'm so relieved that all is well!
ReplyDeleteThankful that all seems well...praying for those who may have lost something.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletepraise God from whom all blessings flow -
ReplyDelete