Friday, May 15, 2009

Nags Head officer dies in crash on way to report of burglary


Earl knew Christ and was planning to take my Discovering NHC class. He was a great cop and family man, and a friend of mine for many years.

Paula Farah was on the scene with EMS making a valiant effort to revive Earl. I responded in my role as chaplain with the NHFD and went with Police Chief Byrum to give the news to Earl's family.

Please pray for his family as well as his public safety family. As you can imagine there is a lot of sadness and shock.

Funeral arrangements: There will be a viewing Monday evening from 5-8:00 at Twiford's Chapel in Manteo. The funeral is Tuesday at 2PM at Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kitty Hawk. I'll be officiating the service. The church seats 1000 or so and will likely be full or overflowing. Burial will be at Hilltop Cemetary in Colington.

Story here.

6 comments:

  1. Back when we were getting ready to move into the PQ, turning a filthy bar into a church facility, I asked Earl, who owned a carpet cleaning business, to come clean the carpet - and it was nasty.

    He did so and would not let us pay him for it. Even recently I asked him to come and clean up some stains on the carpet in the office area at church and again, he wouldn't accept any money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're praying for the Murray family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. My prayers are with the family, law enforcement family and the community. ~~Rachelle Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know God needed Earl in heaven. His work on earth here was done Thursday morning. In 20+ years of dealing with people in crisis, I can, without a doubt, tell you that it was the most difficult thing I have been through. Earl was a friend. Seeing the pain of everyone that was there at the crash is haunting. I can't get that out of my mind. But, I am unwavering in my faith of God's plan. All things work for good. I will focus on that. I'm sorry if I haven't answered your calls. I cry a lot these last couple of days. Please know that I love all of you and thank you so much for your prayers for me, for Rick, for the others that witnessed this tragedy, all that are grieving right now, and especially his family. I am blessed to have such a loving and caring church family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just beginning to sink in with me how great an opportunity awaits us Tuesday at Earl's funeral.

    Predictions are there will be 2000 present. Because Earl was a believer I'll get to share a bit more easily why he's in heaven and how those present can have that same eternal life.

    Also, Nathan will be singing "I Can Only Imagine". There's a possibility Rachel will sing, too.

    After the graveside service there will be a reception catered by Harris Teeter at NHC. Here's another opportunity for us that God has given.

    One of my thoughts is wondering how those who don't know Christ cope with things like this. I don't think I could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm praying for my dad, Paula and all of the others who have been affected by their friend's death. I'm praying God will use Tuesday's service to show Himself to us all.

    ReplyDelete