Catch the foxes for us—
the little foxes that ruin the vineyards
while they are in blossom. (Song of Solomon 2:15 NCV)
You’ve heard the expression, “Don’t sweat the small stuff”. While in so many applications that is true, let me take exception to it when it comes to our personal walk with God.
I’ve been around the block a time or two as a Christian and as a pastor. That doesn’t mean that I’ve “seen it all”, because life shows me differently. But I have seen enough in my own life and in the lives of others to know that the words quoted above from the Bible’s “love letter” hold so true in every avenue of life.
It’s easy for us to focus our attention on the bigger things of life that can’t go unnoticed or hidden. For example, in my life one of the big things is what I teach on Sunday mornings. So I invest a lot of my time during the week preparing for those 35 or 40 minutes.
Now, I could “fake it” only so many times, and depend solely on past clichés and old memories and get up on Sundays without anything fresh. For a while that might work. But eventually those who know me best and longest (and have heard me teach for a long time) would know that I’m just dusting off old treasures. It would be obvious if I get up on Sunday and chase the same rabbits or seem to have nothing from God to say.
But other things are not so obvious, at least to my church family or those in the work place. It’s easy to put on a smile and a “holy contented look” around others when in life things are anything but. And the reason they are anything but is that even while the vineyards are in blossom – when life seems to be at its best – the “little foxes” are at work to ruin life.
You see, the little foxes can’t reach up high and get what everyone else sees. They can only chew away on what’s down low on the basic levels of life. Things like the personal disciplines of quiet time with God and prayer; kind words when no one else is around to hear them; protecting our eyes and ears from things we shouldn’t see or hear; being honest with our finances; timely touches and words to our spouses and children; regularly investing in the staples of life.
No one else sees those things in my life or in yours. But if I’m so focused on the big stuff and neglect the basics that allow the vine of maturity and Christ-likeness to grow, the little foxes will come in and before I realize it they have chewed away the foundations of my life, marriage and ministry, and a breakdown is imminent.
Our pastors and ministry team leaders have been trained and encouraged to watch for the little foxes, not only in our own lives, but in the lives of those we lead and serve. Sometimes we catch them in the act. Sometimes we don’t. But we know that if our lives aren’t strong at the foundation, then our relationships, marriages and ministries are all in jeopardy of failure.
At the last CREST meeting I said these words: “I can’t honestly remember a time when I’ve seen more spiritual growth and maturity in this church than in the last year.” The blossoms are full at Nags Head Church in so many ways! But that also means the little foxes are busy as well. Watch for them in your own life. Don’t get so busy with the big stuff that you neglect the simple basics.
If you sense in your own life that the foxes are damaging about to cause you harm, don’t wait to seek help. Reach out before irreparable harm is done. Steve Wise and his counseling team, as well as all of our pastors and your Connection Group and Ministry Team leaders serve to prevent you from becoming a casualty.
Love Song: Where Are They Now?
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment