Monday, May 11, 2009

Prayer request from Stacey Smith

(Stacey is a member of our global missions team at NHC. Her ministry is to "castaway" children in Quito, Ecuador.)

Dear family and friends,
This "prayer letter" is a bit different than any other I have ever written. This letter isn't about the children I care for, it's not about my foundation, about adoption, or even about me. I'm writing to request prayer for my older brother, Zac.
On Friday doctors found a tumor on his colon and immediately scheduled an operation to remove it on Saturday. On Friday night after the biopsy results came back it was established that the tumor was malignant. On Saturday he underwent surgery and more cancer was found.

He has stage IV liver cancer. No one is calling it terminal right now but we are also aware that stage IV is the last stage. He is still in the hospital and will be until the end of this week. In a couple weeks time he will undergo aggressive chemotherapy.

Zac is a loving, devoted husband to Mandy. He is an amazing father to Lizzy, Jake and Luke. He is my only brother. He is 32 years old. My parents who live in Missouri are in South Carolina with him and his family right now. I'm still in Ecuador.

As you all know I have 3 little girls in my care right now. I cannot travel with them. The two older girls are days/weeks away from joining their forever family. To alter their routine and living situation right now would be extremely traumatic.
As an answer to prayer I have found another placement for Flor (the youngest). That will be a huge relief. But, I am still trying to figure out the best solution to my dilemma with Nataly and Joselyn.

I suppose it goes without saying that I want more than ever in my life to be with my family right now. I also want to do what's best for the girls. I'm very torn with this decision.

So, I said this wasn't about me... it is a little. Please pray for the decision I need to make.

Please pray for my brother and the rest of my family. We believe in miracles and we believe that all things work together for good for those of us who love God. My brother loves God.

Today I had music on for the girls and the following song played:
My God is so big, so strong and so mighty there's nothing my God cannot do.
The mountains are His, the rivers are His, the stars are His handiwork too.
My God is so big, so strong and so mighty there's nothing my God cannot do.

Nataly sang it with all her might and then turned to me and said, "See Stacey. God can make your brother better because there's nothing He can't do." I want to have faith like a child right now.

Thank you in advance for interceding on our behalf.
With a heavy heart,
Stacey

1 comment: