Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Medical Furlough for Robin Brooks

Dear Pastor Rick & Friends at Nags Head,

Thank you for your faithful support and prayers during my first term here in New Zealand. God has done some amazing things in the lives of people and has changed me a lot as well. As I prepare for my first furlough, I desire so much to be with your church and report in person what God has done. However, I’ve had some significant health set backs in January and February. I also have not received any word about my resident visa. My present work visa expires mid April. So my furlough April 1st – August 3rd will be a medical furlough and visa reapplication.

To be honest, I really don’t know why my visa is being held up so long. But God is the one in control of the official’s hearts and when it’s time, He will reveal the answer. In the meantime, I’m waiting on the Lord for His will. The way the Immigration laws are stated, I will only be granted a one year extension on my present work visa. So we do need to continue to pray that my residence visa will be granted.

My health also is something that I don’t totally understand. I’ve been experiencing pneumonia type symptoms, viral pleurisy and extreme exhaustion and muscle pain, plus a myriad of other strange symptoms. Almost weekly I’ve been seeking answers from both traditional and alternative medicine. Each person has helped find a little piece of the puzzle, and some things are coming together, but I’m still in need of more research to complete the puzzle.

At this point, some major things have been ruled out, which is good. The puzzle pieces we have now seem to point to illnesses related to mold and mildew exposure. From the very start of this illness, the medical professionals have suspected “Leaky Home” syndrome. Most New Zealand homes do not have insulation and do not have central heating. Also this part of NZ is very humid and known for respiratory issues. I seem to have most of the symptoms related to that syndrome. I’ve found some treatments that help for a short time, but then I relapse. This could be due to the deficient Immunoglobulin count that has been verified through blood work, or it could be due to a “Leaky Home” or a combination of both.

Recently, I had a building inspector do a “Leaky Home” inspection on my house and it failed. There was significant to extreme moisture levels in the lounge and bedroom. Also there is no insulation in this home and it has a gas heater. Gas heating has been known to aggravate lung issues. My medical professionals and the building inspector strongly encouraged me to move out of this house. My medical professionals actually encourage me to move out of the whole region. However, that is not possible with the type of visa that I hold presently. I must stay where my work contract is and a move before I leave NZ is not physically possible at this time. I actually started my medical leave mid January and have only had the energy to attend church once during that time. It is definitely time to pursue some further answers and treatments in the USA where the medical system moves a bit faster. I have an appointment with a lung specialist in New York on April 21st.

A lady in my church will be house-sitting my home while I’m away so that I don’t have to put my things in storage and have potential mildew damage as a result. Because of the humidity things don’t do well in storage. I will need to move ASAP upon my return. The challenge with that is it will mean renting a newer home with insulation and a different heating unit. This will result in a significant jump of monthly rent and utilities. I’ll need to be at full support to do so.

Once again my teammates have been so helpful in getting me to and from Dr. appointments and helping with the house and garden. They are also helping me prepare for a four month absence from the field. But there is a lot of paperwork and details that only I can attend to. Here are some things that you can pray for in the next few weeks.

Pray for strength and clarity of thinking as I try to tie up loose ends and pack.
Pray that the current treatment I’m doing will relieve symptoms enough to travel home.
Pray for strength to make the long journey home.
Pray for wisdom at I have the lung specialist appointment on April 21st.
Pray for rest and healing while I’m in the USA.
Pray for the granting of my resident visa with no further complications.
Pray that God will supply my full support so that I can afford to move into a healthy home.
Pray that I’ll grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord as I wait on Him for answers to these things that He is in control of.

I’ll be staying with my parents in, New York. I will not be sending out my regular “NewZ for Ewe” for a couple of months, while I try to recuperate. Once I get some rest and some relief of symptoms, I’ll send a prayer letter and hopefully a DVD of the ministry these past few years. Until then, know that I am actively pursing medical answers and treatment. I’ll be in touch when I have more complete answers.

If you wish to contact me, my parent’s home address is:
22 Moose Ct.
Schroon Lake, NY 12870

You can send e-mail’s to rbrooks@biblicalministries.org. They will be forwarded to whatever e-mail address I’m using at the time. I’ll answer as I have the strength to do so.

If you wish to contact Biblical Ministries Worldwide in relation to this medical furlough, please contact Bill Lake at blake@bibilicalministries.org or call him at (770) 339-3500.

Thank you again for your faithful support and prayer and encouragement through this long process. Again, I’m sorry that I won’t be able to report personally. Thank you for understanding the need to regain physical health so I can return to New Zealand. I know God is doing something bigger than what I’m praying for and can see right now. I’m praying for you too and count it a privilege to partner with you.

God Bless,
Robin Brooks

1 comment: